This month is all about men’s health tips and encouraging men to take care of their bodies by eating right, exercising, and working to prevent disease. The work of a ready mix driver is very physical. This is a great thing to keep bodies moving, but can also exacerbate injuries if they’re not addressed properly.
We know ready mix drivers work hard, so here are seven easy health tips in honor of Men’s Health Month.
7 Easy Men’s Health Tips
- Stretch – A quick five minute routine done to start the day and to finish the day can go far in keeping bodies loose and pain-free. If you have a trouble area (your shoulder, for example), do one or two exercises that are specific to that area. For extra mobility, practice CARs (controlled articular rotations) to keep joints limber.
- Get your sleep – Solid sleep is crucial to peak mental and physical performance. Remember – it’s not just about how long you’re in bed (7-9 hours is generally recommended) but also the quality of that sleep. Reach out to your doctor if you aren’t waking up refreshed on the regular.
- Hydrate – Keeping your body hydrated keeps your mind alert and your body operating smoothly. Many of us are walking around chronically dehydrated, so keep those water bottles close in the truck.
- Visit the Doctor – Men are known for avoiding doctor visits, but this may not be in your best interest. An annual check-up is recommended whether you think you need one or not. Other types of regular health checks become important as you age, as well. Of course, if something is bothering you, make an appointment to get checked out right away. Think of doctor visits like routine maintenance on your truck… It keeps things running smoothly, catching small issues before they develop into large ones.
- Walk – Getting 10,000 steps in a day may sound really overwhelming. The good news is that great cardiovascular benefits are achieved with just 4500 steps per day. You don’t need to do these steps all at once. Depending on your pace, you can reach this goal with 3-4 ten-minute walks a day. Start adding them to your routine and your pedometer will be flying in no time!
- Eat More Veggies – This tip has been around for decades, and that’s because it’s really beneficial! If you’re not a veggie lover (yet) start with something sweet and crunchy, like carrots. Cucumbers and bell peppers are easy on-the-go snacks, or add some veggies to your morning eggs. The fiber and nutrient content of veggies means only good things for your health.
- Meditate – Stress has a very clear negative impact on your health. Spending even five minutes a day focusing yourself on being calm and at peace can have a big impact on both your mental and physical well-being. Not sure where to start? There’s an app for that! Apps like Headspace, Calm and Aura have guided meditations to ease you into this practice.
Happy Men’s Health Month! We hope you feel supported to achieve the best health you can for your body.
Curious about a career as a ready mix driver? Check out our careers page.